Domaine Thomson is a lovely guesthouse in the Ariege region of the Pyrenees, with ensuite bedrooms, huge swimming pool, outdoor terrace, free wifi, opportunities for walking, horseriding, cycling, cathar castles, wine tour. A 15 minute drive to Mirepoix, and only 1 hour from both Toulouse and Carcassonne airports.
Description of Domaine Thomson Bed & Breakfast:Domaine Thomson is a lovely guesthouse in a small village in the Ariege region of the Pyrenees, France, nestling amongst rolling hills. It is a great place to `get away from it all`, without being too `far from the madding crowd. A 15 minute drive from Mirepoix, ville Cathar, and 1 hour from Carcassonne or Toulouse, the two nearest airports.'Domaine Thomson' offers:
* Peace and quiet, and a most beautiful outlook.
* Two double/twin ensuite bedrooms and also a family bedroom that can sleep four with access to a family sized bathroom.
* An outdoor sheltered patio, for sitting/breakfasting.
* Private large, outdoor swimming pool.
* Free wireless internet to all guests
* Big parking area and lockable storage areas for bicycles.
* Evening meals will on occasion be available, reservations made in advance.
* A large dining room, and a huge fireplace in the sitting room.
* Kitchen area available also at an extra per/night cost
* A house built about 1830, that although old, is comfortably furnished, retaining interesting features
* A great place to stay to use as a base and explore the surrounding countryside, by walking, cycling, horse-riding, or just taking the car out and going a bit further. This whole area is culturally/historically/architecturally interesting, not forgetting the all important - where to eat, what to eat! I have also a reasonable knowledge of local walks and can recommend different routes that give stunning views, and pass through a variety of landscapes.
Attractions:The location of the guesthouse is a beautiful village called 'Engravies'. A 15 minutes drive from Mirepoix the local medieval market town. Surprisingly the area is matched in beauty with a range of activities whilst keeping its traditional appearance. Local activities including: * Horse riding * Cycling * Canoeing / Kayaking * Walking * Bird watching * Skiing * Hunting / Fishing * Golf * And of course, swimming / sunbathing The local area is steeped in history with a covering of French aesthetic. Local towns Mirepoix and Carcassonne are both surviving medieval locations, Mirepoix with its Tudor like architecture, and Carcassonne with its medieval castle. Local Activities Year-round * Walking: Infinite walking trails * Horse riding: Local riding stables in the same village * Cycling: An area for both, flat, gradient and downhill mountain biking cyclists * Golf: Courses within a short drive away. Winter * Skiing : Resorts within an easy hours drive of the guest house o Cross country skiing o Down hill skiing * Ski stations: o Ax-les-Thermes. o Mont d`Holmes. * Why not also sample the natural hot springs. Summer * Swimming: in our private pool * Canoeing / Kayaking: offered at many towns nearby at a variety of levels Le Tour de France You either love it or . it grows on you. Every year it passes through this area one way or another. You don't have to travel far to find a nice spot to set up by the side of the road and let the spectacle pass.
Directions to Domaine ThomsonEngravies can easily be reached from two big airports both within one and a quarter hours drive and with car rental facilities. Major roads and easy to navigate motorways will take you most of the way, then a short spell on quiet country roads bringing you to the guesthouse.
* On leaving the airport follow signs for Toulouse, then once onto the main road (Periferique) follow signs for Montpelier.
* Continue along the Periferique, don`t be alarmed if for a while there are no signs for Montpelier, just continue.
* At the start of the Autoroute for Montpelier, Carcassonne, and Barcelona, it is also sign-posted to Foix and Andorra. You need to take a ticket, it is a fee paying motorway, then when you leave you pay.
* After going along this for some kilometres you branch off the autoroute following the signs for Pamiers, Foix, and Andorra.
* At end of autoroute place ticket into machine. It will cost Euros 4.40 or Euros 5 depending on time of day.
* Continue till second exit for Pamiers. You will pass a commercial estate with a giant Carrefour (supermarche) clearly visible from the carriageway. Take this exit sign-posted for Mirepoix. It is a tight turn.
* At roundabout take first exit direction Mirepoix.
* Continue and pass through Les Pujols.
* Take the second sign on the right after this to Vira and Dun. This comes very quickly after a turn-off towards Les Issards.
* Follow road through Vira and continue 2 miles.
* Turn right direction Engravies.
* Enter village of Engravies over bridge, continue 100meters then turn left at house with green shutters.
* On leaving Carcassonne airport (Salveza) turn right.
* Follow directions for Montreal.
* After Montreal head towards Fanjeaux, and then Mirepoix.
* From Mirepoix follow directions towards Pamiers.
* This road passes through several villages; Besset, Coutens, Tourtrol, Rieucros.
* After Rieucros turn left following signs for Vira and Dun. Pass through Vira and about 2 miles further turn right signposted Engravies.
* Enter village of Engravies over bridge, continue 100meters then turn left at house with
View on Map